Monday 30 March 2015

[Straits Times] Emigrate? Not when S'pore needs its young more than ever

IN ALL my 27 years, I had not learnt as much about our founding father Lee Kuan Yew as I - and many Singaporeans - have in this past week alone, as newspapers and news channels ran stories, radio stations played tributes, and social media sites were inundated with outpourings of grief over his passing.

With each passing day, my gratitude to Mr Lee swells. As an English teacher in a secondary school here, I have spent the past few days speaking to my students about him, and answering questions that have pushed me deeper along the path of reflection.

One student asked: "So Ma'am, how different would Singapore be today if he hadn't been our leader?"

This question, in its raw simplicity, stumped me. It also frightened me. For a few seconds, I allowed myself to think of a Singapore under the rule of someone else - perhaps not a visionary, as Mr Lee was, and with a little less dedication.

The thought made me shudder. Call me naive, but I am certain no one else could have done as remarkable a job as Mr Lee.

The great vision he displayed and the prophetic words he spoke were unparalleled.

With each passing day, I have grown to understand that Mr Lee was more than just a leader to Singaporeans; he was a father - a father who nurtured his children with passion and dedication, who might have made mistakes along the way, but whose intentions were always right, and whose love was unwavering.

I urge the people of my generation and beyond not to take Mr Lee's passing lightly.

The future of Singapore lies in our hands now, and Mr Lee would have wanted us to keep this country strong and self-reliant for generations to come.

Before this, I was thinking about emigrating one day, and perhaps building a life overseas. But now, my plans have changed. I cannot desert the country that has given me more than I deserve and made me who I am.

I am an educated, independent woman of a minority race, in a country that embraces and respects each of its citizens equally. Such is the country that Mr Lee built.

How could I ever leave this place, now that it needs its young more than ever?

I know this truly is home, a place where I belong. I can only hope that other Singaporeans feel the same way in the wake of this monumentally impactful event.

Priya Christie (Miss)