Saturday 11 April 2015

[Straits Times] Being alert the best defence

I AM a Singaporean who has been living in Boston since 1999, so the April 15, 2013 marathon bombing in the city hit very close to home for me ("Boston Marathon bomber guilty on all 30 counts"; yesterday).

I have run in the Boston Marathon and have many friends who do so, too. I knew Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, who was killed by the bomber. My company also sponsored some runners in the 2013 marathon and one of them was hurt during the bombing.

The bombing was a shocking and depressing time, but I was inspired by how the city united and stayed strong.

With Dzhokhar Tsarnaev being found guilty on all counts, I have found closure, and I hope others do, too.

The bombing holds a lesson for any city, including Singapore. We must guard against complacency, as terrorism can happen in any city. Singaporeans must stay vigilant and report any suspicious activity, as being alert is the best defence.

Robin Low Boon Peng