Monday 13 April 2015

[Straits Times] WRITEROFTHEWEEK

WHO: Amit Nagpal, 40, country manager at a parenting website.

MY FAMILY: Married to a sales manager, with two children - a boy, 13, and a girl, seven. MY HOME: A five-room flat in Sengkang.

MY PASSIONS: Reading, writing, travelling and exploring new cultures, and trying out new cuisines.

I STARTED WRITING TO THE FORUM PAGE...:About six or seven years ago.

WHAT I WRITE ABOUT:When I first started writing to The Straits Times, my mindset, issues and desires were very different from what they are now. As we assimilate more and more into Singapore's social fabric, the issues that concerned my family seven years ago may not have the same importance as other issues now.

Both my children are studying in local schools, learning Chinese, and my son is gearing up for national service in a few years so, now, local, everyday topics on the ground concern me more. WHY I WRITE: I write because it is therapeutic, and because it is my duty to articulate in words the thoughts that a lot of us on the ground feel, and present them on a far-reaching platform like The Straits Times.

I am a firm believer of the law of attraction - that we attract in our lives whatever we think. Hence my letters are inclined towards positivity and a desire to see good things for everyone.

I READ THE FORUM PAGE BECAUSE...:

The Forum Page not only lets us write about matters of national and international importance, but also local issues concerning the common man. It allows us to reach out to and question the Government and engage in dialogue that is free and democratic. The Straits Times needs to increase the space given to Forum letters.

MY WISH FOR SINGAPORE:I hope Singapore continues on its trajectory of consistent growth but with more emphasis on holistic growth rather than only financial progress. Once the focus on being No. 1 is relaxed a bit, there could be much more satisfaction all around.