Friday 30 January 2015

[Straits Times] Gracious hospitality throughout trip

I VISITED Singapore for the first time this month and was very impressed with the graciousness and kindness of the people I met.

The taxi driver ferrying me to the zoo advised me to get a bottle of water as it was a hot day.

At the zoo, the ticketing staff did a good job of explaining how my ticket would permit me to visit four different areas.

The cabby taking me back to my hotel told me there was no need to tip him.

At a supermarket, the cashier waited patiently as I dug in my wallet for the correct amount of money, and cheerfully helped me bag my purchases.

And back at the hotel, the concierge patiently helped me go through the steps to log onto its Wi-Fi.

All these acts of simple kindness happened on my first day here, and I continued to experience patience and kindness throughout my 10 days in Singapore.

I hope to return to enjoy your gracious hospitality.

George Malacinski (Professor)