Thursday 26 February 2015

[Straits Times] My point

Wheelchair user rejected by cabbies

EARLIER this month, I was in Tanjong Katong Road trying to hail a cab for my friend who uses a wheelchair.

After waiting a long time, I saw an empty Comfort cab and flagged it down. I indicated that the driver should turn into a driveway to pick up my friend.

He did as I instructed, but when he saw the wheelchair, he scooted off. I was flabbergasted. The same thing happened with two other taxis from the same company.

It is bad enough to be a wheelchair user and feel helpless, but to be blatantly rejected three times in quick succession by people whose job is to provide a service is beyond comprehension.

Can taxi drivers pick and choose passengers like this? Where is the gracious society we want to promote?

Goh Geok Eng (Madam)





Penalised for bank's lapses

THERE were three unauthorised online transactions involving my UOB Visa debit card last September totalling $144.46.

Last November, the bank credited the amount back into my account. Last month, however, it debited the same amount from my account, the reason being that I did not file a claims form and the bank could not contact me by phone.

After many visits, calls and e-mail to the bank, I still have not received my money nor any communication from the bank.

Why am I being punished for the bank's inability to protect its customers' money?

Tham Weng Yew