Friday 27 February 2015

[Straits Times] Self-employed need help, too

I AM a full-time taxi driver with three children, two of whom are still schooling. I appreciate the various help schemes set out in the Budget, especially the SkillsFuture Credit scheme, GST vouchers and those that help to lower the cost of our children's education.

Unlike workers in conventional occupations, who will see their Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings increase, and businesses, which will be getting assistance from the Government to soften the impact of rising costs, there is no such help for the self-employed like me.

Many of us voluntarily contribute to Medisave regularly, through a "Drive and Save" scheme set up by the National Taxi Association.

However, I hope the Government can offer more help for people like me who are self-employed.

Raymond Ong Thiam Khoon