Wednesday 25 February 2015

[Today] Wanted: Non-Chinese cabbies during this festive period

Many of the workers in essential services such as defence, health care, refuse collection, air, sea and land transport, et cetera, may have had to sacrifice part of their Chinese New Year celebrations with their families for the country’s sake.

In essential services run by government agencies, proper arrangements would have been made to meet the needs during this period.

This is not the case for taxi services, though. The cabs are rented from private companies and the drivers have more freedom to decide when to hit the road.

Last Wednesday evening, which was the time for reunion dinners for Chinese Singaporeans, I saw long queues at taxi stands in my neighbourhood and many people waiting for taxis along the roads. Many had difficulties getting one.

A friend told me that he had waited more than an hour and could not book one from the apps either. He later sought the help of a friend who had a van. I, too, helped my cousin to get to the airport after he had waited an hour.

While it is understandable that many Chinese cabbies had taken time off for their reunion dinner, I noted an absence of Malay and Indian drivers in my area. All I saw that evening were Chinese drivers, and I appreciate their much-needed service.

Non-Chinese taxi drivers should rise to the occasion and play their essential part during this festive period every year. This is part of Total Defence, which will succeed only if Singaporeans realise their social responsibilities.