Tuesday 31 March 2015

[Straits Times] From fear to security under Mr Lee

I GREW up in a time when Singapore experienced many riots. There were frequent curfews, and I remember the fear of being unable to run home in time when the sirens sounded. When I was in primary school, I was stranded in school once, because my mother could not come to get me before the curfew started.

And because we lived in wooden houses, I was in constant fear that my home would catch fire one day, or that my neighbour's house would, and that the fire would spread to my house.

There was also student unrest in Chinese schools. As my father was a Chinese school principal, he had to stay at home for days while waiting for the riots to be quelled.

The curfews, riots and leaking roof of my house strengthened my resolve to improve my lot in life, to fight for a better future for Singapore - and former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew made all that, and more, possible.

I remember standing in line as a child, as part of the welcoming party for Mr Lee at the Bras Basah constituency. I had the privilege of seeing him face to face, and of having shaken his hand.

To us Singaporeans, he was not a mere statesman, prime minister, or leader. He was our father.

He gave us hope, a new life, a new identity, and a comfortable, peaceful home, a place that is the cream of Asia's crop.

I am so proud to be Singaporean. Where there used to be fear and insecurity, there is now peace and stability.

It is heartbreaking to think that Mr Lee will not be here to see the SG50 celebrations.

Singapore was his consuming passion, his entire life.

Will there be another leader, statesman and father like him?

I think not.

Ruth Cheng Chay Choo (Ms)