Saturday 28 March 2015

[Straits Times] The S'pore brand is strong now

SINCE the death of Mr Lee Kuan Yew, much has been said - locally, in the foreign newspapers and by individuals - about how far Singapore has come from a British outpost to today.

I am an ardent traveller and have been to many places across six continents.

It was not too long ago that when I told someone where I came from, I would get the response: "Is Singapore in China?"

This, however, changed about 15 to 18 years ago.

Singapore is now recognised as being a wonderful, clean, safe and beautiful place where everything works. People who have been to Singapore have told me they would visit again.

More poignantly, people have asked me if they can come here to work. When I asked why, they said that they heard it is a great place to live and work.

Some years ago, I took a short course in business Mandarin. The teacher, who was from China, told the class that when she first arrived at Changi Airport, she stared at the sky for a long time because she had not seen clear, blue skies for so long.

A former colleague from India told me that he never knew water could be consumed straight from the tap. He said he would make Singapore his home for this reason.

Also, among the many foreigners I meet, SIA is their preferred choice of airline.

Yes, we have come a long way in a short span of 50 years, but it took tremendous hard work and foresight to make sure that it happened.

Chan Siok Mui (Ms)