Monday 30 March 2015

[Today] A show of the Singapore spirit

I have seen the men and women helping out at the community tribute centres round Singapore and at the Padang and Parliament House, working tirelessly to control the crowds and look after our needs.

My wife, son and I also queued for almost six hours with thousands more, sweaty shoulder to sweaty shoulder, toe to toe, with one heart, as one nation, to pay our last respects to this great man, Lee Kuan Yew.

There was no kiasuism shown. Instead, I saw fellow Singaporeans helping one another along the way. A man offered a helping hand to a lady carrying a big bouquet of flowers for Mr Lee.

I saw Singaporeans calling for help when one fell and needed medical attention, and Singaporeans offering drinks to those in need of one. Drinks and snacks were passed from the distribution points to those farther down the line.

I realised that we have this Singapore spirit inside us, and a defining moment such as this forced us to show that we care for one another. Well done, fellow Singaporeans, you have shown your unity as a nation.