Thursday 26 March 2015

[Straits Times] Lifelong follower of Mr Lee

UNCLE Lee, the name I affectionately called former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, has lived in my heart since I was a young girl.

It was because of my father that I became interested in Mr Lee's building of Singapore and in the PAP. We moved to Tanjong Pagar in 1979 and since then, I was a great supporter of Mr Lee.

In the early years, the annual Chinese New Year Dinner and National Day Dinner events were a highlight for my family.

Roads were blocked leading to the Tanjong Pagar Community Centre (CC) for Mr Lee's arrival.

I would wait patiently outside the CC and would shove with the crowds to get a glimpse of him when he arrived. Dinner was never the objective of these nights; they were about the chance to listen to Mr Lee's speeches and to follow closely behind him.

Besides Tanjong Pagar CC events, I would attend his other official Group Representation Constituency events.

I have kept clippings of all The Straits Times articles on Mr Lee. And although they have now turned yellow, I still treasure their contents.

My home has also become a mini-library collection of Mr Lee's books and memoirs.

I am very grateful for the many articles in The Sunday Times by Mr Lee's daughter, Dr Lee Wei Ling, about Mr Lee's private life. They allowed a glimpse of the man on the domestic front.

Words cannot describe my sadness over Mr Lee's death. But I will hold his legacy and values dearly in my heart forever.

Erica Ong Lay Kuan (Madam)