Saturday 28 March 2015

[Straits Times] Sceptical? Think about how you have benefited

SOME may ask if we have gone overboard in grieving over Mr Lee Kuan Yew's death. I say that while the response has been exceptional, it is also justifiable.

As a millennial, I never got to witness Mr Lee's live election speeches, did not experience the period of uncertainty when he implemented controversial policies, and never saw him in person.

Yet, I have received so much from his legacy.

Today, I am able to live in one of the world's safest and richest countries, with all my basic needs fulfilled, because of his population policies that ensured sufficient resources for all.

I feel a sense of global membership because of Mr Lee's bilingual policy that exposed me to a wider variety of cultures and to global affairs.

Thanks to Mr Lee's tree-planting initiatives, which earned us the title of "Garden City", I have received compliments about my homeland while travelling overseas.

I can proudly call myself a Singaporean because of Mr Lee's singular obsession with raising Singapore to greater heights.

So, to anyone who feels sceptical over this period of mourning, take a moment to think about how much you have benefited from Mr Lee's legacy.

His contributions were made a long time ago, but their effects have been long lasting, or, perhaps, even everlasting.

His death does not mark an end but, instead, the start of a new chapter for Singapore.

Hence, let us be filled with zeal in continuing the legacy Mr Lee has left for us.

Tay Yu Qing (Miss)