Monday 30 March 2015

[Straits Times] No Ugly S'porean traits in sight

I WAS among the thousands who queued at the Padang to pay my last respects to Mr Lee Kuan Yew last Friday afternoon ("More organised, but more people"; last Friday).

Instead of seeing "Ugly Singaporean" traits - being kiasu (afraid to lose) or inconsiderate, or having a tendency to gripe and whine - among people in the crowd, I witnessed something totally different.

The volunteers, perspiring in the hot sun, cheerfully handed out drinks, biscuits, umbrellas and fans, urging the crowd to take them so that they could be comfortable. They picked up rubbish in trash bags and collected loads of umbrellas on trolleys for re-use.

Marshals were courteous and enthusiastic. What heartened me was that many of them were young Singaporeans. Shouts of appreciation for their efforts came forth spontaneously and intermittently from the queues.

Those queueing were patient and behaved with dignity, even as they braved the heat. They were quietly and clearly determined to make it to Parliament House.

I was moved to see a man in his 70s limping beside me, perspiration dripping down his cheeks, alone. A woman, in her early 80s, in front of me was soaked through with perspiration. Younger Singaporeans cautioned the older ones not to trip over wires.

There was a Singapore spirit of mutual help and courtesy as people came together to honour our founding father.

I am immensely proud to be a Singaporean.

Tan Siew Kuan (Madam)