Monday 30 March 2015

[Straits Times] Nation's progress made a Lee follower out of me

I FIRST heard Mr Lee Kuan Yew speak right outside my parent's shophouse when I was about 10 years old. I did not understand what he said then, but the party mood was all around us.

A few years later, my father took me to attend Mr Lee's rally at the National Theatre.

I was mesmerised by his piercing eyes.

As soon as I was able to read the newspapers, I began to read up on his speeches, and gradually became one of his followers.

I believed in him because of all the progress I saw around us.

I saw Toa Payoh's development begin in earnest. People, including those who were homeless, began moving into decent homes.

Gangs, corruption, violence and other social ills were wiped out. People began to enjoy decent living, jobs and tranquillity.

I met him again in the late 70s, when he visited the Jurong Bird Park with his wife. His piercing eyes had not changed.

I continued to follow news articles about whatever he said, and never missed his annual National Day Rally speeches. I have read all his memoirs, along with every book and magazine article on him that I could get my hands on.

I have also been following the outpouring of praise and expressions of grief from a range of people, from the great leaders of the world to the common people on the street.

My fear is that, unless we honour his legacy with something tangible, all these will soon pass and be forgotten.

Perhaps the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy could build a "Merdeka Hall" to house all records of Mr Lee, along with his speeches. Let it serve as an inspiration for all Singaporeans to build on his legacy.

Ong Soon Leong