Monday 25 May 2015

[Straits Times] Touched by efforts to help Nepal

I WAS disheartened to read the news of the devastating earthquake in Nepal, which took the lives of more than 8,000 people, injured over 17,000, and left victims digging through the rubble with their bare hands to save others.
It was heartrending to see families waiting for news of their loved ones who are missing.
I am glad that Singapore has reached out a helping hand to assist in rescue missions. Kind-hearted donors have also given supplies such as food, water and blankets.
It was also pleasant to see that the Singapore Red Cross raised more than $6 million ("Survivors looked out for S'pore volunteers during second quake"; Sunday) for the victims, and that the Government contributed $250,000.
This shows that Singapore is willing to help when any country is in need. I am truly touched by the donors' efforts.
I send my condolences to Nepal and hope that, together, we can get through this.
Tan Hui Ying (Ms)