Saturday 23 May 2015

[Today] Agencies’ mindset about seniors a barrier

I agree with the writer of “Ageism is biggest obstacle to employability of older S’poreans” (May 22). I think the crux of the matter is the mindset of employment agencies about seniors as unproductive and undesirable.
To rub salt into the wound, government agencies have outsourced recruitment to these outfits, although government policies promote active ageing and economic integration in society, such as via a higher re-employment age of 67 in the near future.
I am a stay-at-home mother and a trained secretary with 15 years of experience, who volunteers in my children’s school and uses social media to keep pace with society.
My only setback is my age. I have been looking for employment the past year, for instance, as a data-entry clerk, an administrative assistant and even a call-centre receptionist, through a major employment agency here.
Not once did I hear back about my applications, even though I am capable of providing administrative support, filing data and sorting mail or documents. I am also only 50 years old, with a good 15 years until retirement.
Ironically, Mrs Hillary Clinton, 67, is running for American presidency next year while we face discrimination in Singapore.