Saturday 23 May 2015

[Straits Times] Writer of the week

WHO: David Kwok Ng Kan, 64, retiree.
MY FAMILY: Married with a son, Kelvin, 36, and a grandson, Royce, who is 17 months old.
MY HOME: A three-room flat in Tanjong Pagar.
MY PASSIONS: Swimming and walking. I am also a grassroots leader, doing volunteer and community work.
I FIRST STARTED WRITING TO THE FORUM PAGE...: In the 80s when I was working with a statutory board.
WHAT I WRITE ABOUT: Mostly on municipal matters so that the authorities can address the problems and solve them at the ground level.
WHY I WRITE: I write because The Straits Times Forum Page is an effective platform where problems can be put forward and picked up by the proper authorities and government agencies.
I READ THE FORUM PAGE BECAUSE...: It is the best way I can see how government agencies and statutory boards handle problems.
MY WISH FOR SINGAPORE: I wish to see more assistance and attention given to senior citizens and the poor, as well as more help for those who have fallen through the cracks.
I also wish for more incentives to be given to married couples to start families so as to boost the population of Singapore.